Friday, September 13, 2013

Letter B Centers

We had our letter Bb learning centers this week and the kids loved them! We have been in school for a month now and the kids have done great with learning how centers work in our classroom. I don't have a problem with clean up or fighting over toys and most importantly they are having fun and learning!!
 
Next week for us will be a review week which means we will be going over Aa and Bb together so there will be different things out for both letters. I am introducing a couple of new things but over all it will be some of the same things they have been playing with the past two weeks.

Dramatic Play:
Letter B is always one of my favorite letters because we get to play in our beauty shop! I love it as much as the kids. For this center I have a small blow dryer, brushes, curlers, a pretend straightener and play shampoo and conditioner. I always set up a waiting bench with magazines to read while you are waiting. There is also some wigs you can try on and have styled. One addition to the center this year was small little buckets that were different colors that I used for coloring hair. I put a paintbrush in each one and had them pretend that it was for coloring their clients hair. They also started using it for painting each others nails and even eyebrows lol. (there was no real paint in anything so it was fun watching them use their imagination with all of it) I also posted by signs and had the kids tell me the price for different things, they had a good deal on haircuts but a style was a bit pricey. :)
 
Fine Motor:
For this activity the kids would match the beads to the pipe cleaner. They seemed to really enjoy this one and even started making different patterns with them.
 
 This was our bucket of beans. I also had some beads mixed in and had them to try and scoop up the beads that had a letter B on them.
 
We of course had to pull our bugs back out.
  Science center:
For science center I had, bugs, bubbles, sensory bottles, and binoculars

Art:
For art we had bug stamps and blue and brown paper

Blocks:
For block center we had blocks, a barn, and tools for building.

Library:
The main thing we did was added more B books and puppet animals that began with B.

Extra:
We had some fun extra activities this week as well. We had a bear parade on Tuesday which the kids loved. They all got to bring a bear from home and we marched around the school singing "We're marching in a bear parade, bear parade bear parade, We're marching in a bear parade, B said Buh"

We also had a balloon launch with red balloons!

There was also a boat race. I made small little boats out of foam paper (next time I will use foil) and had the kids blow them across the water. They loved this!
 
Overall it was a great week! I am excited about the new things I will add next week, I think they will enjoy them a lot!


 

1 comment:

  1. GREAT idea! I'm always looking for ideas for dramatic play in my preschool. This will be perfect for the letter B. I'd love for you to come share this at our Pinning for Play link party!

    ReplyDelete